My pal James Maverick of Maverick Traveler invited me to his podcast to share all sorts of things.
I won’t lie, James’ blog was a huge influence on me as I debated leaving the States. In addition, James let me have a huge opportunity to guest post on his site when I was really going all in. His generosity really helped me get some momentum.
Listen to the show here:
Here are some of the things we discussed:
- (1:24) Kyle’s background, where he’s from and where he’s now.
- (3:30) Why Kyle moved to Czech Republic over other countries
- (5:05) Pros and Cons of living in Eastern Europe over West
- (6:13) The lack of “hustle mentality” in Eastern Europe; The New York City hustle mentality
- (10:13) The challenges of working hard in during the Eastern Europe summers
- (11:00) My friend’s weird 5-12 work schedule
- (12:05) Kyle’s typical day routine
- (13:33) The “truth” about the Location-Independent lifestyle
- (14:30) Kyle’s future travel plans
- (16:05) The challenges of traveling and working at the same time
- (19:09) How I booked location accommodation in Bali and Thailand
- (19:45) The cost of renting an apartment in Kiev, Ukraine
- (21:48) Kiev vs. Odessa vs. Other Ukrainian cities
- (24:00) Why Kyle is not interested in moving around too much
- (25:00) The importance of building solid relationships vs. random friends here and there
- (27:40) Comfortable salary for living in Eastern Europe
- (28:00) $2-3/mo vs. $1M vs. $1B
- (29:10) The importance of time – enjoying your life during your 20s, 30s, and beyond
- (29:45) Going to Brazil at 29 vs. Going to Brazil at 55. Does it matter?
- (30:22) Club in Rio de Janeiro where you’ll have fun whether you’re 25 years old or 55 years old.
- (37:15) The myth of “overnight success.”
- (40:44) The challenges of writing a book
- (42:35) How to validate an idea
- (44:45) The power of building a strong brand
- (47:00) What’s better: blog or twitter?
- (48:30) Ecommerce/Dropshipping
- (52:25) Making free money with drop shipping (Credit card points)
- (58:40) The biggest business epiphanies/failures
- (1:03:00) The parallels of business / personal relationships
- (1:04:00) How to start from nothing
- (1:07:10) Starting a business on the side vs. Quitting your job and terrorizing yourself
- (1:08:45) Final thoughts